Find out how to sharpen your hedge trimmer blades quickly and easily with these simple steps.
Checkout this video:
If your hedge trimmer blades are dull, they can cause damage to your plants and make trimming more difficult. You should sharpen your blades at least once a year, or more often if you use them frequently. This guide will show you how to sharpen hedge trimmer blades quickly and easily.
Tools and Materials
To sharpen hedge trimmer blades, you will need:
-a piece of wood (optional)
1. Begin by ensuring that the cutting blades are free of any dirt, debris, or build-up. If needed, clean the blades with a wire brush or similar tool.
2. Next, clamp the blade in a vise. If you are working with a large blade, you may need to use a piece of wood to help support it. 3. Use masking tape to secure the blade in the vise if needed.
4. Using a file, start at the base of the blade and move outward towards the tip in long strokes. 5. Be sure to keep the file level with the blade to avoid creating any unevenness.
6. Repeat this process on the other side of the blade until both sides are equally sharpened.
7. Once you have finished sharpening the blades, remove them from the vise and wipe them clean with a rag before reassembling your hedge trimmer.
1. Power off and unplug the hedge trimmer.
2. Inspect the blades for nicks, cracks or other damage. If there is any damage, replace the blade.
3. Place the hedge trimmer on a work surface with the blade facing up.
4. Use a file to sharpen the teeth on the blade. Start with a medium-grit file and move to a finer-grit file if needed. Work slowly and evenly to avoid removing too much material from the blade.
5. Wipe the blades clean with a cloth and apply a light coat of oil to protect them from rusting.
6. Reassemble the hedge trimmer and test it on a few branches before using it on your hedges.
Now that you know the techniques on how to sharpen hedge trimmer blades, it’s time to put them into practice. Remember to safety first and take your time while sharpening. With patience and proper care, your hedge trimmer will be as good as new in no time.